24 April 2023

Man arrested in WA after two women allegedly attacked on Goulburn streets

| Albert McKnight
Start the conversation
police vehicle

A 41-year-old man has been arrested in WA after two women were allegedly assaulted in Goulburn. Photo: File.

CONTENT WARNING: This article refers to an alleged sexual assault.

Police will ask to extradite a man from Western Australia after two women were allegedly physically or sexually attacked on the streets of Goulburn.

NSW Police said Strike Force Noobillia was created last week to investigate the alleged attack of a 19-year-old woman in the town, then also started looking into whether or not this incident was tied to the alleged assault of an 18-year-old on a nearby street about a week earlier.

The strike force raided a home on Bradley Street, Goulburn, on Sunday (23 April) where officers seized several items for forensic examination.

After further inquiries, Western Australia police arrested a 41-year-old Goulburn man at a hotel in Fremantle about 10:30 that night.

He was taken to the Perth Watch House, where he remains pending his first court appearance, NSW Police said on Monday (24 April).

“Sex Crimes Squad detectives will travel to WA in the coming days to apply for the man’s extradition to NSW,” a police spokesperson said.

READ ALSO Wife allegedly shot snoring husband in head to ‘remove him from the family’

The 18-year-old was walking along Goulburn’s Blackshaw Road about 10:30 pm on 5 April when she was approached and allegedly punched in the face by an unknown man.

It is alleged she fell to the ground where he continued to assault her, but she managed to break free and ran towards Park Road. She was later taken to hospital for treatment for facial injuries.

The 19-year-old had been walking north along Bourke Street in Goulburn about 11 pm on 14 April when she was approached by an unknown man.

After walking towards the intersection with Addison Street, he allegedly grabbed her, threw her to the ground and punched her several times in the face before she lost consciousness. Police said it was believed she was sexually assaulted.

When she regained consciousness, she ran to nearby houses to seek help and flagged down a passing motorist, who took her to the Goulburn Police Station.

Police said she had facial injuries and was taken to hospital for treatment.

READ ALSO Police allegedly seize $100,000 cash in Goulburn traffic stop, man charged

Last week, Detective Superintendent Jayne Doherty said the man’s alleged approach to both women was not overly aggressive and he had been talking to them.

“Then he’s become suddenly aggressive, which is why they’ve been caught off guard and knocked to the ground,” she alleged.

“Both the conversations were different … they were a general conversation, which allowed him to get closer to the women, we believe.”

Start the conversation

Daily Digest

Do you like to know what’s happening around your region? Every day the About Regional team packages up our most popular stories and sends them straight to your inbox for free. Sign-up now for trusted local news that will never be behind a paywall.

By submitting your email address you are agreeing to Region Group's terms and conditions and privacy policy.