27 April 2023

Nathan Caldow refused bail over allegedly attacking women on Goulburn streets

| Albert McKnight
Man with jumper over his head being escorted

Nathan Raymond Caldow, 41, has been extradited from WA to NSW. Photo: NSW Police.

CONTENT WARNING: This article refers to an alleged sexual assault.

The man accused of attacking two women on the streets of Goulburn has been brought to NSW and remanded in custody.

Nathan Raymond Caldow was arrested at a hotel in Fremantle, Western Australia on Sunday (23 April) then extradited to NSW.

The 41-year-old Goulburn resident appeared in the Sydney Downing Centre on Thursday (27 April) where he did not apply for bail and it was formally refused.

Mr Caldow has been handed eight charges. These are single counts of inflicting actual bodily harm with the intent to have sexual intercourse, and choking, as well as two counts each of aggravated robbery and inflicting actual bodily harm, sexually touching another person without consent and stalking/intimidation.

His matter will next be heard in the Goulburn Local Court on 3 May.

READ ALSO Nurse who stole from patient’s wife at Bega hospital disqualified for a year

NSW Police said an 18-year-old woman had been walking along Goulburn’s Blackshaw Road about 10:30 pm on 5 April when she was allegedly approached and punched in the face by an unknown man.

It is alleged she fell to the ground where he continued to assault her, but she managed to break free and ran towards Park Road. She was later taken to hospital for treatment for facial injuries.

Later, a 19-year-old had been walking north along Bourke Street in Goulburn about 11 pm on 14 April when she was also allegedly approached by an unknown man.

After walking towards the intersection with Addison Street, he allegedly grabbed her, threw her to the ground and punched her several times in the face before she lost consciousness. Police said it was believed she was sexually assaulted.

READ ALSO Wife allegedly shot snoring husband in head to ‘remove him from the family’

When she regained consciousness, she ran to nearby houses to seek help and flagged down a passing motorist, who took her to the Goulburn Police Station.

Police said she had facial injuries and was taken to hospital for treatment.

The attacks were investigated by Strike Force Noobillia, which raided a home on Bradley Street, Goulburn, on Sunday where officers seized several items for forensic examination before Mr Caldow was arrested in Fremantle that night.

Daily Digest

Do you like to know what’s happening around your region? Every day the About Regional team packages up our most popular stories and sends them straight to your inbox for free. Sign-up now for trusted local news that will never be behind a paywall.

By submitting your email address you are agreeing to Region Group's terms and conditions and privacy policy.