CONTENT WARNING: This article discusses an alleged sexual assault.
It is alleged a woman was knocked unconscious and sexually assaulted as she walked along a street in central Goulburn on the weekend and police are investigating whether this is linked to another alleged attack on a different woman from a week earlier.
NSW Police said the 19-year-old woman was walking north on Bourke Street at about 11 pm on Friday (14 April) when she was approached by an unknown man.
It is alleged that after walking a short distance towards the intersection of Addison and Bourke streets, the man grabbed her and threw her to the ground.
He allegedly punched her several times in the face before she lost consciousness and was sexually assaulted before the man fled along Bourke Street.
When she regained consciousness, she ran to nearby houses to get help and flagged down a passing motorist who took her to the Goulburn Police Station.
Police said she had facial injuries and was taken to hospital for treatment.
Strike Force Noobillia was established to investigate the incident. Detectives are also looking into whether it is linked to another alleged assault on the nearby Blackshaw Road a week prior.
In this earlier alleged incident, an 18-year-old woman had been walking along Blackshaw Road at about 10:30 pm on 5 April when she was approached and punched in the face by an unknown man.
It is alleged she was knocked to the ground, where the man continued to assault her, but she managed to break free and run away along Blackshaw Road.
She was later taken to hospital with facial injuries.
Detective Superintendent Jayne Doherty said the man’s alleged approach to both women was not overly aggressive and he had been talking to them.
“Then he’s become suddenly aggressive, which is why they’ve been caught off guard and knocked to the ground,” she alleged.
“Both the conversations were different … they were a general conversation, which allowed him to get closer to the women, we believe.”
Police said the man they wish to speak to is described as being of Caucasian appearance, aged in his late 30s to early 40s, about 180 cm tall, with a solid build and a scruffy beard.
Officers have released closed-circuit television footage from Friday (14 April) of a man who was in the area at the time and are asking members of the community to come forward if they know who he is.
He is pictured in the above photo and video footage, walking with the 19-year-old shortly before the alleged incident.
“Someone in Goulburn knows who this male is and that’s who we want to come forward,” Detective Superintendent Doherty said.
“We don’t want people to be alarmed, but they should be alert: alert to your surroundings, who may be walking the streets at night, or who may be acting of concern to you.”
She urged members of the community to take precautions.
“If you’re out walking at night, we suggest you don’t walk on your own. Tell people where you’re going and walk along areas that are well-lit,” she said.
She said Goulburn police were conducting more patrols on the streets at night to ensure the community’s safety.
Police are also calling for CCTV or dashcam footage from Addison or Bourke streets between 10:30 pm and 11:15 pm on 14 April, or from Blackshaw Road between 10:30 pm and 11 pm on 5 April.
If you have footage from these periods or have information for police, you can contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.