About Regional Federal Election Forums – Cooma, Jindabyne, Bega
News
The Federal Election campaign has been pretty dry so far, not that we have the same expectations on them as a Candelo Village Festival, Cooma Hill Climb, or Batemans Bay Seaside Carnivale! But for all concerned its important that there is a level of interest. While it might not feel like it sometimes that one vote we all have on...
Van Ryn case highlights weakness in victims compo laws – again
Community
The sentencing of already imprisoned Bega Valley paedophile Maurice Van Ryn will continue in Bega District Court on Friday (May 3) with Judge Sean Grant allowing extra time for submissions including a victims impact statement. No further detail was added in court today, with Van Ryn pleading guilty last month to four charges of aggravated sexual intercourse with a person aged between...
Batemans Bay Community Centre petition attracts over 1000 signatures
News
A petition of 1,029 signatures will be presented to Eurobodalla Shire Council as the discussion around the future of the Batemans Bay Community Centre builds momentum. Early last month, Council rejected claims that it was planning to demolish the Centre but did point to the possibility of the site being sold or commercially leased in the future. Lindsay Usher, Council’s...
Local Table #3 – the cost of good food isn’t about price. It’s about value!
Opinion
When it comes to eating according to our values, there are a number of assumptions we have to challenge around the reasons we give for defaulting to the supermarket option. We tell ourselves we’d like to eat locally grown, or eat from our own garden, or buy direct from a farmer, but almost immediately the excuses why we can’t start...
Six romantic, rustic or luxurious ‘glamping’ adventures in South East NSW
Community
Australia’s love for the outdoors is being reflected in a growing trend towards ‘glamping’ or luxury camping with South East NSW joining in the move to enjoy this form of nature-based accommodation. According to online booking platform Glamping Hub, glamping has never been more popular and the residents of our region have an array of opportunities to try it out...
Work about to start on new playground for Mogo
Community
“Mogo is a small town that’s big on character but short on recreation facilities, and we’re really pleased to be able to provide this upgrade,” says Mark Upson, Eurobodalla Shire Council’s Recreation Services Manager. Plans to transform the Mogo Sports Oval into a new recreation space are about to take off creating a new place for the community can gather...
Citizen science to get more involved in the lives of local platypus
Environment
Citizen science is about to get more involved in the lives of one of the Snowy Monaro's most treasured inhabitants - platypuses. Events will be held from Cooma to Goulburn, Queanbeyan to Dalgety for community members interested in working with the Australian Platypus Conservancy (APC). Snowy River Alliance chair, Elena Guarracino says, “APC biologists will highlight the features that make...
Are you the next Vessel? Batemans Bay photo journo looks for her next subject
Arts & Culture
"We are very pleased to inform you that your image has been successful. Congratulations, see you soon, the Loud and Luminous team." The email dreams are made of graced my inbox at a time I felt completely out of sorts with life. It was the beginning of a new chapter for me. One that empowers and encourages me to continue...
Artists shine from Bungendore to Bermagui this weekend
Arts & Culture
X Gallery, Bungendore - RESERVOIR Jess Forster is an emerging Textile artist from Regional NSW. She creates unique sculptures, artworks and objects from locally sourced wool felt. Foster is currently exploring the impact of the drought on rural Australian landscapes, people and places. Her latest solo show ‘RESERVOIR’ is on at X Gallery in Bungendore. This new collection of monumental tapestries and...
Illegal hunters busted in Snowy Mountains, generally a positive report card
News
Compliance Officers from the Department of Primary Industries spent the Easter/Anzac break checking on hunters in the region and have returned with a positive report card. Patrols and inspections by the Game Licensing Unit (GLU) have revealed the majority of hunters are doing the right thing when it comes to obeying hunting regulations, following a series of operations across New...
Merimbula Ocean Outfall – is that really our best option?
Opinion
The proposed ocean outfall for Merimbula Bay has been on my mind, perhaps a little too much, but at the same time, I feel like this is a big deal. It wasn't on mind however when I walked into Bemboka Pie Shop to buy a caramel slice and a lamington for a 'meeting' I was headed into. I wasn't really...
Batemans Bay Anzac Day tradition passes on to new generations
News
Hundreds of people gathered on the banks of the Clyde River this morning to commemorate those who achieved our freedom. As the sun began to rise the mood was still and calm with a few murmurs from babies who for the first time were experiencing the town rise as early as them. The Dawn Service is a tradition that continues to...
Stereotypes: a load of bull
Opinion
The late Dr Martin Luther King very famously rallied for a society where his children would not be judged on their appearance but rather by the content of their character. What a noble ask that was, and still is. We should all be extremely wary of blanket, uninformed and misguided judgements based on appearances.  Growing up, I frequently witnessed people...
“The beating heart of the ANZAC tradition” by Tathra’s Graham Walker
Opinion
A few years ago, Vietnam veteran and historian Dr Greg Lockhart came across the graves of the crew of a Bomber Command Stirling aircraft which crashed on the Island of Ile d’Yeu off the French Atlantic coast on October 16 1942. The crew included four New Zealanders, two Britons and a Canadian. For some years the families knew only that...
Federal Labor commits to Headspace at Cooma and Batemans Bay
News
If elected on May 18 a Shorten Labor Government will create a $3.5 million Headspace centre in Cooma, going beyond the outreach service that currently operates from of Headspace Bega. Labor member for Eden Monaro, Mike Kelly, says youth mental health is a persistent and increasing concern in the high country. “Many parents, community members and young people themselves have...
Candelo Village Festival this weekend – ‘fat for your soul’ as winter looms
Arts & Culture
Before we plunge into the cold, long, dark days of winter comes some 'fat for your soul' that will see you through - the Candelo Village Festival this weekend. There is a spark about the community and environment of Candelo, southwest of Bega, that ensures good times, but not just the 'good times' you see talked about in all festival...