Horticulture heresy – garlic swindle uncovered ‘guru’ pleads guilty
News
The Australian garlic industry is in shock with Leticia Ware, Tasmanian garlic grower, ‘guru’ of the industry, and Chair of the Australian Garlic Industry Association (AGIA), charged with the illegal importation of garlic. In fact, anyone aware of the implications for Australian agriculture would have been dumbfounded. In early September, Ware pleaded guilty to 10 charges; three counts of aggravated...
PODCAST – Festival of Open Minds, Tim Costello
Podcast
The Rev Tim Costello is one of Australia’s most respected community leaders and a sought-after voice on social justice issues, leadership and ethics. For 13 years until October 2016, Tim was Chief Executive of World Vision Australia, and up until earlier this year, he was World Vision’s Chief Advocate. In his evocative memoir that has just been released - A...
Democracy on show and acknowledged – Moruya, Bega, Eden
News
"The privilege to protest" has been on show across Southern New South Wales, with hundreds gathering for the Global Climate Strike today. "When you live in a place this spectacular, a lot of people understand why it is so important to stop the climate crisis," Hannah Doole said. Hannah has been on the front line of climate action in Queensland...
Merimbula business woman to lead Canberra Region wing of NSW Business Chamber
Business
Merimbula's Lynn McColl has been elected Regional President of the Capital Far South Coast - NSW Business Chamber, part of the state’s peak business organisation. Adam Zarth, Executive Director, NSW Business Chamber says the position is key to representing and advancing the regional interests of 22 local chambers of commerce across southern NSW. “Lynn has overseen a very successful period...
Awards seek nominations from your favourite farmers
Community
Do you know a farmer, fisher or forester in your area doing something great for the NSW primary industries sector? Nominations for the NSW Farmer of the Year and NSW Young Farmer of the Year awards close next week. The prestigious awards are judged on the innovative tools farmers are using to prepare for the future. These include techniques being used to boost productivity...
Sediment discharge from Dargues Reef Gold Mine at Majors Creek
News
Diversified Minerals, operators of the Dargues Reef Gold Mine at Majors Creek, was quick to notify the public, the Community Consultative Committee and the Environment Protection Authority (EPA) following a discharge of "sediment laden water" from the mine site this week. The spill came after just 30.6mm of rainfall was recorded on September 17. The notification said, “Overall the Site...
From ‘the cheese to the seas’ this Sunday with Bega Tathra Safe Ride
What's On
The Bega Valley is famous for its dairy products and its stunning sapphire coastline - this Sunday's (September 22) Bega Tathra Safe Ride connects both. The 21 km community cycling event will take riders from 'the cheese to the seas' starting at the Bega Cheese Heritage Centre at North Bega and finishing at the renowned Tathra Hotel. "Bega Cheese is...
Meet the mum from Bega booming with her low carb baking business
Food & Wine
The Protein Bread Co caught my attention whilst embarking on the 'post baby bounce back keto diet' I set myself 12 months ago. Most 'low carb' flour products leave little to be desired and have you back on the carby sugars before you finish the packet! I can't claim this bread helped me lose weight but it did allow me...
Further industrial action at Bega Cheese called off
News
Further industrial action at Bega Cheese has been called off after workers agreed in principle to a new pay offer provided by management earlier this week. Australasian Meat Industry Employees Union Secretary, Patricia Fernandez, says “workers have stood strong in demanding respect." "They can’t take advantage of regional workers, funneling profits away from the local community into the pockets of...
Spring Equinox to mark 10 years of SAGE in the Eurobodalla
Community
Celebrating the 10-year anniversary of SAGE - Sustainable Agriculture and Gardening Eurobodalla, with a Spring Equinox picnic will be a timely reminder of how an idea planted a decade ago has developed strong roots and continues to grow and produce great outcomes for the community. “It’s a wonderful achievement on many levels," says SAGE President Mark Barraclough. “We are recognised as...
From ducks to trucks: Lake Bathurst’s super highway tells the story of progress
Community
Two hundred years ago the incalculable number of ducks and black swans staggered the first Europeans to see Lake Bathurst. How times change. Today, 55 railway carriages roll through the tiny village early of a morning brim-full of Sydney’s rubbish. Once unloaded near Tarago, the carriages will make the return journey. This time noisier, causing windows to vibrate as the...
Missing man from Jindabyne – Brett Graham Alexander
News
Police are appealing for public assistance to locate a man missing from Jindabyne since Sunday, September 15. Brett Graham Alexander is 25 years old. Police say he was last seen leaving the Jindabyne Bowling Club about 11.25 pm on Sunday night. He has not been seen or contactable since that time. There are concerns for his welfare. Anyone with information...
Rix Wright’s Shearer finds a home in Cooma – “It’s really great to see it in a public space.”
Arts & Culture
Cooma’s Centennial Park is now home to a prized artwork by one of the nation’s most revered artists. The Rix Wright sculpture, 'The Shearer' has returned to being pride of place with an official unveiling witnessed by family, friends and the community. Moth balled for two years while arrangements were made for its return to public viewing,  Rix’s first wife Sandra...
Bega Valley families helping tackle nappy waste problem
News
Bega Valley locals are stepping up to find a solution for one of Australia's trickiest waste issues. Fifty families have just started a trial to test if compostable nappies and incontinence products can be added to the shire’s FOGO (Food Organics Garden Organics) bin collection service. Bega Valley Shire Council’s waste team is leading the trial with Tasmanian-based compostable nappy...
Council seeks comments for Braidwood skate park
News
Ollies, nosegrinds and tailslides may soon be regular occurrences for skateboarders of Braidwood, with community feedback being sought for a potential skate park in the town. Separate designs have been prepared for two locations. One is at the Braidwood Recreation Ground, adjacent to the existing tennis court along Araluen Street and Recreation Ground Creek. The second is at Bicentennial Park on McKellar...
Planning Department continues review of Eurobodalla Rural Lands rules
News
Eurobodalla Shire Council is still waiting for final approval from the NSW Planning Minister for its Rural Lands Strategy, despite the previous minister saying it would be among the first documents he signed after the state election. The then Minister Anthony Roberts visited the region in March. Mayor Liz Innes told Region Media at the time, “he was very clear in saying...