Canberra author Peter Papathanasiou on secrets, love and what really makes a family
Arts & Culture
When Peter Papathanasiou was growing up in the Canberra suburb of Narrabundah, his family felt so insubstantial that it could be blown away by the wind. His older Greek parents cherished him, but he yearned for siblings, something more grounded and weighty. But when the Canberra scientist was an adult, his mother dropped a bombshell: he was not their biological child....
What are we waiting for? The lost art of empty moments
Community
I was waiting for a friend to arrive at a cafe recently and I  felt fidgety. The cafe was busy, with plenty of people to watch and details to observe, piles of pretty cakes and jars of biscuits and cute little succulents growing in random vessels but I felt at a loss, my attention drawn again and again to the...
Cheers – to natural wine tasting that will have us all under its influence
Food & Wine
Yes it's a cruel thing I'm doing here, telling you about a fabulous wine event that has sold out, however there are a couple of great stories around the upcoming Nattie by Nature the main one being the marvelous concept of 'natural' winemaking. But there is also the enthusiasm and chutzpah of three hospitality friends, plotting and scheming good-times on the Sapphire...
Shifting seasons bring meningococcal risk to Southern NSW
Health & Wellbeing
With the peak season for meningococcal disease still more than a month away, Southern NSW Local Health District (SNSWLHD) is urging people to be alert to lesser known signs of the disease. The Director of Public Health, Tracey Oakman, says meningococcal disease can occur at any time of year but cases normally start to increase towards the end of flu season when people’s...
Acacia Quartet to perform world premiere in Bega this Saturday
Arts & Culture
"Acacia Quartet performed so well that at times they seem like only one instrument, such is their clarity and unison," one reviewer said. In over a decade of working together, the Acacia Quartet has won great respect for their versatile and inventive programs, and tomorrow (July 27) they play on what almost feels like home turf which will no doubt add...
Justice for Delilah – is someone trapping and killing cats in Tomakin?
Community
After letting her two cats outside at about 2 am on the morning of July 15, Tomakin resident Claudia Quinton woke to discover that one of them, Delilah, was missing. "I went outside and called her and usually within minutes, I hear the jingle of her bell," Claudia says "but there was nothing." A few days later, after Claudia and...
Giiyong among a host of winners at Southern NSW Tourism Awards
Business
Some of the best and brightest tourism operators in Southern New South Wales have been acknowledged at the Regional Tourism Awards in Ulladulla this week. "These awards aren't only about recognising winners they are about developing our industry, encouraging excellence and improving our businesses," says Jo Spencer from the NSW Business Chamber. Finalists across the 10 categories included: Bangalay Luxury...
Ann Moyal: An independent life of history and science
News
Celebrated historian and prolific figure at the Australian National University, Dr Ann Moyal AM FRSN FAHA, has died at the age of 93. An important independent historian, Ann pursued the history of Australian science through her many books and publications, and was awarded an AM in 1993 for her 'contribution to the history of Australian science and technology especially the...
Car chase zig zags through Snowy Monaro and Bega Valley
News
A car chase yesterday involving two vehicles and a number of local police darted through the Snowy Monaro and Bega Valley, with police now asking the community for information as their investigation continues. A friend of About Regional says, "I had to pull over and then fling myself off the highway twice more to let three more police vehicles through."...
Elderly woman slapped in Goulburn aged care facility, man arrested
News
A man has been charged following the alleged abuse of an elderly woman at Goulburn. Police report, "An 85-year-old woman – who was a resident in an aged-care facility was being attended to by a 30-year-old man in the bathroom of her quarters at about 7 pm Tuesday (July 23)." "The man allegedly slapped the victim across the cheek with...
New state-wide police role created – meet the Monaro’s Aged Crime Prevention Officer
Community
The Royal Commission's national investigation into aged care is ongoing but one of its positive effects is coming into play now. NSW police have created a new role, the Aged Crime Prevention Officer, who is responsible not just for cases involving the elderly but also other vulnerable groups such as the disabled and homeless. While the position will be rolled out state-wide...
EPA on the ground in Tantawangalo Forest investigating complaints
News
Community comment and concern about forestry is always robust, which was again the case last week around Region Media's reporting of the current logging operation underway in Tantawangalo State Forest, southwest of Bega. Comments ranged from: Dave Stewart - "Great renewable resource if done correctly and great for community by providing jobs." Vivian Harris - "We shouldn’t be logging native forests,...
Wop ba-ba lu-mop and wop bam boom at Lumen Christi, Pambula
Arts & Culture
Students and staff of Lumen Christi Catholic College at Pambula spent their school holidays in the last stages of rehearsal for their production of ‘Grease Jr’ which premieres tomorrow night - July 25. The cast of over 50 students and director, Emma Hibbert are looking forward to bringing an updated and explosive version for the Olivia Newton-John, John Travolta classic...
New aged care site for Goulburn announced in six weeks
Community
The developers behind a new 144-bed aged care facility proposed for Goulburn will announce the development site in the next six weeks. Signaturecare CEO Graeme Croft confirmed the development is proceeding as planned. The facility is expected to create up to 170 jobs and will also provide high level and dementia care to Goulburn and the surrounding region. “This is...
Firefighters tower new heights for MND
Community
We all know the feeling we get when we climb a flight of stairs in a hurry. It kind of takes your breath away. So, stop and take a breath as you think of what it would take to climb to the top of the Sydney Tower – a staggering 1504 stairs or 98 floors. A group of dedicated firefighters...
Bega teenage health initiative now available in Victoria
Health & Wellbeing
A unique Bega initiative geared towards improving teenage health is now available in Victoria. Teen Clinic is a free service operating out of a general practice that allows teenagers to drop in and discuss their health and lifestyle concerns in a relaxed and confidential environment. Mallacoota Medical Centre will be operating a Teen Clinic each Monday and Thursday afternoon. No...