An unlicensed teenager has been charged after he allegedly fled the scene of a motorcycle crash, leaving his pillion passenger seriously injured near Braidwood.
The 17-year-old boy was riding a motorcycle when it crashed on Stewart Crossing Road, Marlowe, 19 km north of Braidwood, at about 5:00 pm on 4 October 2020.
His pillion passenger, a 31-year-old man, suffered serious head injuries.
The teenager, who was uninjured, allegedly fled the scene.
Emergency services arrived a short time later and NSW Ambulance paramedics treated the injured man before taking him to Canberra Hospital in a serious condition.
Officers from the Crash Investigation Unit are investigating.
Following inquiries, officers arrested the 17-year-old boy at a home in Bungendore at about 9.35 pm the same day.
He was taken to Queanbeyan Police Station and charged with eight offences, including:
- Dangerous driving occasioning grievous bodily harm – driving in a manner dangerous
- Fail to stop and assist after vehicle impact causing grievous bodily harm
- Negligent driving (occasions grievous bodily harm)
- Driver never licensed
- Use of an unregistered registrable Class A motor vehicle on a road
- Use of an uninsured motor vehicle
- Carrying a passenger without a helmet, and
- Not giving particulars to police.
He was granted conditional bail and is due to appear at a children’s court on 2 November 2020.