The man arrested over the police siege in Cobargo earlier this year has been sentenced to three years’ jail.
Samuel Robert Doolin, 41, pleaded guilty to eight charges over the 27 June 2022 incident, which had forced some residents in the small Far South Coast town to evacuate.
The Cobargo man’s charges included two counts of assault as well as single counts of intimidating a police officer in execution of their duty, using an offensive weapon to prevent lawful detention, destroying or damaging property and possessing a prohibited drug.
On the day of the siege, NSW Police said an operation had begun at a property on Avernus Street, near Cobargo-Bermagui Road.
“Members of the public are urged to avoid the area,” police said.
“A number of surrounding homes have been evacuated as a precaution, and all those who remain in nearby homes are encouraged to stay inside.”
Witnesses said they had been told to stay indoors, the street had been cordoned off and they saw plenty of police officers, including tactical members, while paramedics and the fire brigade were nearby.
On Wednesday (19 October), the Bega Local Court’s Magistrate Doug Dick convicted Doolin on each charge and sentenced him to three years’ jail, with a one-year non-parole period.
As the sentence was backdated, this means he will be released from custody in June 2023. He was also fined $1200.
Magistrate Dick recommended he have intense mental health treatment while in custody and on parole.