UPDATED 28 June, 9:20 am: A man will front Bega Local Court today charged with a number of offences following yesterday’s police operation in Cobargo.
The 40 year old man has been charged with:
- assault actual bodily harm (two counts)
- intimidation (two counts)
- malicious damage
- breaching an AVO
- using an offensive instrument to avoid apprehension
- possessing a prohibited drug.
He was taken to hospital before his arrest and was held by police overnight.
27 June, 3:15 pm: Houses have been evacuated in Cobargo’s east as a police operation is currently underway in the area.
At around midday on Monday (27 June), NSW Police released a statement saying the operation had begun at a property on Avernus Street, near Cobargo-Bermagui Road.
“Members of the public are urged to avoid the area,” police said.
“A number of surrounding homes have been evacuated as a precaution, and all those who remain in nearby homes are encouraged to stay inside.”
A member of Cobargo’s community said it appeared the operation was at the east end of the closed-off street.
They said there were “lots of police” at the scene, including tactical members, while paramedics and the fire brigade were at the nearby police station.
Another local resident said there were “lots and lots” of police officers stationed on the street as well as Fire and Rescue trucks and ambulances.
“We’ve all been told to stay indoors, which we are, so can’t really tell what’s going on,” they said.
They said the operation began about 1 pm and the street had been cordoned off since then.