27 February 2024

UPDATE: Police continue search of Bungonia property believed to be linked to suspected murders of Sydney couple

| Claire Fenwicke
Start the conversation
Luke Davies and Jesse Baird

Police believe Luke Davies (left) and Jesse Baird were murdered, with divers searching for their bodies at a Bungonia property. Photo: Facebook.

UPDATE: Tuesday, 27 February: NSW Police operatives have returned to a Bungonia property they believe is linked to the suspected murders of Sydney couple, Jesse Baird and Luke Davies.

The property is about 100 acres with two dams and officers will spend today (27 February) conducting further line searches of the area they weren’t able to cover yesterday.

A spokesperson confirmed the dams had been searched by police divers but that no items of interest had been found.

“A small boat was seized for forensic examination. This will determine if it is relevant/can be eliminated from the investigation,” they said.

It’s as the Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras board has requested NSW Police officers not march in the upcoming parade.

This is because the man charged with the suspected murders is a police officer who also formerly marched at the event.

In a statement, the board said it felt police presence in the parade could add to distress within the LGBTQIA+ community.

“This decision was not made lightly, especially considering that many NSW Police members who participate in the Parade are also members of the LGBTQIA+ community and are navigating the impact of this tragedy alongside us,” it stated.

“However, we believe that their participation at this year’s event could intensify the current feelings of sorrow and distress.”

The board is meeting with NSW Police representatives to discuss the request further.

Meanwhile, NSW Police has declared a critical incident in relation to the accused’s potential use of his police-issued handgun and other aspects of the case.

“A critical incident team from the State Crime Command’s Homicide Squad will investigate all circumstances surrounding the incident,” a statement read.

“The investigation will also be reviewed by the NSW Police Force Professional Standards Command.”

The Law Enforcement Conduct Commission (LECC) has also been notified.

READ ALSO Elderly man killed in single-vehicle crash at Wheeo

Monday, 26 February: Police divers are searching dams at a Bungonia property today (26 February) for the bodies of Jesse Baird and Luke Davies, who are believed to have been murdered.

Mr Baird’s previous partner, NSW Police senior constable Beau Lamarre-Condon (28), has been charged with two counts of murder and remains before the courts.

Investigations began into Mr Baird and Mr Davies’ suspicious disappearance after bloodied clothing and other possessions were found in a skip bin in Cronulla last Wednesday (21 February).

Police arrived at a Bungonia property on Hazelton Road, south-east of Goulburn, on Sunday (25 February) following information from a female acquaintance of the accused.

NSW Police Deputy Commissioner David Hudson said it was believed Mr Lamarre-Condon knew about the property from a previous relationship and had travelled there with the woman on Wednesday.

“We believe she was an innocent agent,” he said.

It’s not believed the woman knew Mr Baird and Mr Davies’ bodies could have been in the van.

Police alleged Mr Lamarre-Condon bought a hand-held angle grinder and padlock on the trip and left the woman at the property’s gate for about half an hour as he drove further on in a white Hiace van.

Deputy Commissioner Hudson said it appeared the accused had bought some weights that night and also grabbed two torches from an acquaintance.

“We believe it’s possible the accused returned to the property, retrieved the bodies and disposed of them somewhere else,” he said.

“There are missing gaps in the timeline for us.”

The pair left the Bungonia area at about 4:30 am on Thursday (22 February).

Mr Lamarre-Condon had been on leave on the Wednesday and Thursday.

READ ALSO ‘I’ll bash this **** with handcuffs on’: Griffith man sentenced for intimidating policeman

Deputy Commissioner Hudson said the number one priority of police was to find the bodies of Mr Baird and Mr Davies, who they believed were murdered.

He also commented that Mr Lamarre-Condon hadn’t been speaking with detectives thus far and had taken legal advice.

“Hopefully, he has a change of mind,” Deputy Commissioner Hudson said.

It’s hoped more acquaintances or community members might know something or now realise something they were told was important.

“It is unlikely that the bodies are in the Bungonia area. They could be anywhere between here and Newcastle and beyond,” Commissioner Karen Webb said.

“It remains today, a week later … we still have Jesse and Luke missing.”

It’s not believed anyone helped Mr Lamarre-Condon with his alleged crimes.

It’s unclear how long police divers will remain at the Bungonia property.

“We will take as long as we need to until we clear those [dams],” Deputy Commissioner Hudson said.

READ ALSO Tathra bushfire survivors sue Essential Energy over 2018 blaze that destroyed 65 homes

Gunshots had been heard at Mr Baird’s Paddington home on Monday (19 February) at about 9:50 am, which weren’t reported to police at the time.

A Triple Zero call had been made from Jesse’s phone shortly after that time, but it’s not known if he was the one who made that call.

It’s then believed Mr Lamarre-Condon hired a white Hiace van from Sydney Airport.

Police will also allege he made admissions to an acquaintance about the “deaths of two individuals”.

Mr Lamarre-Condon is also believed to have travelled to the Newcastle area on the Thursday before washing the van at an acquaintance’s home.

He returned to Sydney at about 6:15 am on Friday (23 February) and handed himself into Bondi Police Station at 10:39 am.

It’s believed Mr Lamarre-Condon’s police-issued handgun could have been used in the alleged murders, as it had been signed out of the Miranda Police Station on 16 February.

Forensic analysis of his weapon is ongoing.

Jesse Baird had originally been a suspect in Luke Davies’ disappearance, given the nature of the belongings found in the Cronulla skip bin and text messages he had sent to his roommates about how he was planning to move to Perth.

Police now believe Mr Lamarre-Condon had been sending those messages from Mr Baird’s phone.

Start the conversation

Daily Digest

Do you like to know what’s happening around your region? Every day the About Regional team packages up our most popular stories and sends them straight to your inbox for free. Sign-up now for trusted local news that will never be behind a paywall.

By submitting your email address you are agreeing to Region Group's terms and conditions and privacy policy.