7 October 2022

UPDATED: Police use taser to end 17-hour standoff with armed man in Travers Street

| Chris Roe
Start the conversation

Police have arrested a man after a 17-hour standoff ended this morning. Photo: Shri Gayathirie Rajen.

NOON UPDATE: Police had to use a taser to end a 17-hour siege in Wagga Wagga this morning.

About 4:20 pm yesterday (Thursday 6 October), officers from Riverina Police District went to a unit on Travers Street, Wagga Wagga, to speak to a man who was wanted on two outstanding warrants.

When police arrived, the man allegedly threatened police and became aggressive.

The man – who was allegedly armed – remained inside the home, with local and specialist police, including negotiators and Tactical Operations Regional Support (TORS) officers, establishing a perimeter around the premises.

Negotiations continued throughout the night, and about 9:20 am today (Friday 7 October 2022), police entered the unit.

It will be alleged the man remained aggressive and a taser was deployed to take him into custody.

The 30-year-old man was taken to Wagga Wagga Base Hospital for treatment, where he remains in a stable condition.

8 am: Traffic on Wagga’s busy Travers street was diverted this morning as a major police operation continued.

The city end of Travers Street was closed early on Friday morning between Trail and Beckwith Street with only some residents allowed to proceed beyond the checkpoint.

Large numbers of emergency service vehicles converged on the scene from 4:30 pm on Thursday afternoon with multiple police cars, ambulances and Fire and Rescue vehicles attending.

The scene remained active overnight and local traffic services were called to relieve police and close the street early on Friday.

At 9:30 this morning an ambulance left the unit complex with police following.

Emergency services began packing up and a number of tactical officers armed with rifles exited the scene.

One officer confirmed that “no one was hurt” and that the situation had been resolved peacefully.

READ ALSO Potholes and shoddy roads spark calls for more action

The resident of a unit on Travers Street told Region that he had been asked to leave his home on Thursday evening as police advised him they had located a wanted fugitive within the complex.

He said that while residents along the road were allowed to come and go, residents of the units were unable to return.

A second resident reported hearing a loud argument and said police were using a megaphone to converse with an agitated individual late into the night.

NSW Police are yet to confirm details of the operation other than to say it was underway on Travers St, near Broad St. They asked members of the public to avoid the area.

Original Article published by Chris Roe on Region Riverina.

Start the conversation

Daily Digest

Do you like to know what’s happening around your region? Every day the About Regional team packages up our most popular stories and sends them straight to your inbox for free. Sign-up now for trusted local news that will never be behind a paywall.

By submitting your email address you are agreeing to Region Group's terms and conditions and privacy policy.