News

Overnight fire at Batehaven points to winter risks and danger

Ian Campbell 25 June 2019
Fire and Rescue NSW was called to the home on Bernadette Boulevard, Batehaven, just after 3 am. Photo: Fire and Rescue NSW Station 384 Moruya Facebook.

Fire and Rescue NSW were called to the home on Bernadette Boulevard, Batehaven, just after 3 am. Photo: Fire and Rescue NSW Station 384 Moruya Facebook.

A photo taken by Eurobodalla firefighters the early hours of this morning (June 25) points to the lucky escape for a family at Batehaven.

Fire and Rescue NSW crews from Batemans Bay and Moruya were called to the home on Grantham Road just after 3 am in response to a fire started by a faulty electric blanket.

Duty Commander, Alan Gerrard says the alarm was raised by a passer-by and the people inside are very lucky to have escaped without serious injuries or worse.

“This just reiterates the need to check heaters and electric blankets, people put them away for the year and bring them out with the cold weather not realising faults might be present,” he says.

Firefighters at the scene this morning say, “great job done by 217 (Batemans Bay) crews to quickly contain and extinguish the fire, 384 (Moruya) crews assisted by ventilating with our onboard positive pressure fan.”

“Please remember to turn off all sources of heat before bed each night, including electric blankets, candles, scent candles and never go to bed with heat packs.

“Electric blankets are great for winter, however, should only be turned on prior to turning in for the night and once in bed they should always be turned off.”

The alarm was raised by a passer-by, the family inside are lucky to have escaped without serious injuries or worse. Photo: Fire and Rescue NSW Station 384 Moruya Facebook

The alarm was raised by a passer-by, the family inside are lucky to have escaped without serious injuries or worse. Photo: Fire and Rescue NSW Station 384 Moruya Facebook.

Community Safety and Research Chief Superintendent Mick Morris says the cooler months see a 10% increase in the number of home fires.

“Don’t put yourself or your family at risk. We want to remind people to be careful when using heaters and to keep everything in the house ‘a metre from the heater’,” he says.

Fire and Rescue NSW recommends a number of simple steps you can take to protect your home and family from the risk of fire this winter:

  • Turn off heaters and electric blankets before leaving home or getting into bed;
  • Clean lint filters in clothes dryers before or after each use;
  • Don’t overload power boards;
  • Keep candles away from curtains and put them out before leaving the room;
  • Don’t use LPG cylinders for cooking or heating indoors as they can leak and the gas is both toxic and highly explosive;
  • Ensure you have a working smoke alarm.

In the event of a fire call Triple Zero (000).

What's Your Opinion?

7 Responses to Overnight fire at Batehaven points to winter risks and danger

Val Norton. 11:41 pm 26 Jun 19

Yes a good idea. BUT I love having mine on low through the night.

But will listen to you. Thanks for all the great work you all do. 😀

Patricia Douglass Patricia Douglass 7:53 pm 26 Jun 19

I have an electric blanket & put it on to heat the bed & then turn it off. I was told never take it off the bed & fold it up when the summer comes. I'm so pleased they are ok

Amanda Robyn Amanda Robyn 7:14 pm 25 Jun 19

Oh no. Who were those poor people. What a shock. So pleased they are ok.

Ben Emery Ben Emery 4:06 pm 25 Jun 19

Brooke Emery

Sue West Sue West 1:59 pm 25 Jun 19

Havent had an electric blanket for years.you have to be careful how you store them and dont keep them too long.

Nina Poulton Nina Poulton 1:27 pm 25 Jun 19

I know its cold but hey electric blankets can be deadly

Seán 1:22 pm 25 Jun 19

You could add charging mobile phones and tablets as well.

Top