Health & Wellbeing

No new COVID-19 cases from Batemans Bay cluster

27 July 2020
COVID Testing

Residents have responded well to calls for testing. Photo: File.

There have been 17 new cases of COVID-19 identified in NSW in the past 24 hours – none of them linked to the Eurobodalla.

However a Surf Beach woman has been fined for failing to self-isolate after returning from Victoria.

Officers from South Coast Police District went to a Surf Beach home on Sunday after reports the 63-year-old woman had visited a Batemans Bay supermarket despite being directed to self-isolate. She was fined $1000.

NSW Chief Health Officer Dr Kerry Chant said most of the new cases in NSW were linked to existing restaurant and funeral clusters, and were transmitted to close contacts and between household members, which showed how the virus was most likely to spread.

She said there were now 101 cases being treated by NSW Health, with five patients in ICU and one being ventilated.

“I’m pleased that in the largest extent, the cases are linked to known clusters,” Dr Chant said. “But this is a critical time. We are doing a lot … in South Western Sydney and Western Sydney to close down any clusters, but we’ve got to be aware that we could have transmission chains in other parts of the state.

“That’s why everyone has a part to play.”

No new cases have been linked to the Batemans Bay Soldiers Club outbreak, nor to the confirmed case that visited other Eurobodalla clubs.

Dr Chant said she was “incredibly pleased” with the Batemans Bay community response, saying the testing rate and quick isolation had helped to stem any major outbreak.

However today’s torrential rainfall has temporarily halted COVID-19 testing at Hanging Rock, Batemans Bay, with the Southern Area Health Service shutting down the clinic at 1 pm for the safety and comfort of staff and people being tested.

So far, 7359 people have been tested in the Eurobodalla, where there have been 13 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and three remain active.


READ MORE: Frosty reception for COVID-19 breaches at ski resort


In the Bega Valley, 4378 people have been tested and there have been nine confirmed cases, none of which are active.

Queanbeyan-Palarang has 11 confirmed from 6213 tests and one active case while Goulburn-Mulwaree has 10 confirmed cases from 4372 tests.

Meanwhile, there have been no new cases of COVID-19 recorded in the ACT in the past 24 hours, leaving the territory’s total at 113. There is one active case in the ACT.

Acting ACT Chief Health Officer Dr Vanessa Johnston said while it was important to note the achievements and good work of Canberrans in the fight against COVID-19, this was not the time to be complacent.

“The pandemic is not over and we must remain vigilant,” Dr Johnston said.

“We can be rightly proud of the hard work and responsible decisions Canberrans have been making throughout this pandemic. But now is not the time to take it easy. We only need to have a look at what is happening in Victoria and NSW to see how the situation can change quickly if people don’t do the right thing.

“Our continued success in the fight against this virus relies on Canberrans maintaining this effort in the weeks and months ahead. Physical distancing and good hygiene practices are our best defences against the spread of COVID-19.”


READ ALSO: Fears for bushfire victims as torrential rain lashes coast


What's Your Opinion?

Top