9 February 2023

Man charged over fatal Monaro Highway crash also accused of break and enter spree

| Albert McKnight
Start the conversation

Marc Anthony Jessop, 49, is charged over a fatal crash on the Monaro Highway. Photo: Claire Fenwicke.

The man charged with manslaughter over a fatal collision south of Canberra in 2021 is also alleged to have gone on a short break and enter spree at two Monaro businesses around the same day as the crash.

Marc Anthony Jessop is accused of being behind the wheel of a stolen Holden Commodore that crashed into a van on the Monaro Highway at Williamsdale, which is north of Michelago, on 30 December 2021.

The driver of the van was Harri Jokinen, who was aged in his 50s. He was trapped in his car, suffered critical injuries and died at the scene, police said at the time.

It is alleged Mr Jessop had been attempting to escape during a police chase and was driving dangerously at high speed with alcohol and methylamphetamine in his system when he caused the crash, court documents say.

READ ALSO Araluen man accused of killing woman in crash outside Braidwood

His alleged conduct amounts to manslaughter, the prosecution claims. He is also charged with aggravated dangerous driving occasioning death, driving a conveyance taken without consent of its owner and causing bodily harm by misconduct.

Mr Jessop is also charged with two counts of aggravated break and enter over alleged incidents from around 30 December 2021 as well.

He is accused of breaking into the Nimmitabel Bakery and stealing $300.

Also, he is alleged to have broken into the United Petroleum Service Station in Michelago and stolen a range of items, including six jerry cans, four Red Bull cans, salt and vinegar chips as well as several flavoured milks.

Both are alleged to have happened while he was in the company of others.

READ ALSO Teenage boy charged over Nerriga head-on collision which left woman seriously injured

Mr Jessop, a 49-year-old from Moruya, did not appear in person when his matters were mentioned in the Queanbeyan Local Court on Tuesday (7 February).

The court heard the facts for the matters were being negotiated and an adjournment was needed to do so. Magistrate Roger Clisdell adjourned to 7 March.

Mr Jessop made no application for bail and it was formally refused.

Start the conversation

Daily Digest

Do you like to know what’s happening around your region? Every day the About Regional team packages up our most popular stories and sends them straight to your inbox for free. Sign-up now for trusted local news that will never be behind a paywall.

By submitting your email address you are agreeing to Region Group's terms and conditions and privacy policy.