22 March 2023

Elderly Queanbeyan flower thief who stole roses at 3 am has charge dismissed

| Albert McKnight
Join the conversation

Anka Popovich, 83, had her charge dismissed in the Queanbeyan Local Court. Photo: Albert McKnight.

An elderly woman who admitted stealing flowers from a stranger’s yard in Queanbeyan has had her charge dismissed, with her lawyer saying “she never should have been charged in the first place”.

A security camera filmed 83-year-old Anka Popovich walking up the woman’s driveway at around 3 am on Australia Day 2023 and cutting a large number of fully grown flowers from a hedge before putting them into a bag and leaving, court documents say.

The flowers included ‘City of Newcastle’ roses, which are worth around $10 each.

Police officers stopped Ms Popovich on the street the next month and saw she had a large number of flowers hidden by a blanket in her pram.

READ ALSO Bega Valley’s Janice Denny to spend months in jail over animal cruelty offences

When the Queanbeyan resident was shown a photo from the security camera and asked if it was her, she replied, “Yeah, I pinched this”, and told the officers she sells flowers for $5 a bunch.

“The accused showed little to no remorse when made aware of the distress her actions have caused local garden owners,” police said in the documents.

“Police are aware that many other residents nearby to Campbell Street in Queanbeyan have also been impacted by the accused’s actions over a prolonged period of time.”

The officers seized the flowers she had with her, suspecting they were unlawfully obtained.

READ ALSO UPDATE: More details revealed in case against Monaro’s war crime murder accused, Oliver Schulz

Ms Popovich pleaded guilty to a charge of destroying or damaging part of a plant with the intent to steal on Monday (20 March), but while Queanbeyan Local Court Magistrate Roger Clisdell found her guilty of the office, she avoided a conviction as he ultimately dismissed her charge.

Afterwards, her lawyer, Carley Hitchins from Aulich, remarked it was a “good outcome”.

“She never should have been charged in the first place. Public resources could have been used in a far better way,” she said.

“She was happy to have it over and done with; it was very stressful for her.”

Original Article published by Albert McKnight on Riotact.

Join the conversation

All Comments
  • All Comments
  • Website Comments

Daily Digest

Do you like to know what’s happening around your region? Every day the About Regional team packages up our most popular stories and sends them straight to your inbox for free. Sign-up now for trusted local news that will never be behind a paywall.

By submitting your email address you are agreeing to Region Group's terms and conditions and privacy policy.