News

Amber Haigh murder co-accused refused bail

Edwina Mason5 May 2022
Amber Haigh

Amber Haigh was reported missing in June 2002. Photo: Supplied.

Phone intercepts of conversations allegedly discussing the purchase of a chainsaw, disposal of a body or parts of a body, and the evidence of around 20 witnesses form the NSW Police case against Harden couple Robert and Anne Geeves who were this week arrested and charged with the murder of Hilltops teen Amber Haigh.

Amber Haigh was reported missing on 19 June 2002 after failing to return to her home at Kingsvale near Young in the NSW South West Slopes, where she and her six-month-old son, lived with the-then married couple.

Police were told Robert and Anne Geeves had dropped Amber off at Campbelltown Railway Station on 5 June 2002, where she intended to travel by train to Mt Druitt to visit her sick father in hospital.

The co-accused, who have been detained in Wagga Wagga, appeared separately before Magistrate Jillian Kiely via video link in Cowra District Court today.

A man and woman, both aged 61, were arrested in Harden and are expected to be charged with Amber Haigh's murder. Photo: NSW Police

A man and woman, both aged 61, were arrested in Harden and are expected to be charged with Amber Haigh’s murder. Photo: NSW Police.

The court was told the couple had separated around eight to nine years ago but remained on good terms.

Citing serious medical ailments, the lawyer for 61-year-old Anne Geeves, Clive Hill, did not apply for bail but said an application was pending.

Mrs Geeves’s case was adjourned to 17 May in Young Local Court.

Lawyer June Langfield who appeared for Robert Geeves argued for bail saying the case against her 61-year-old client was circumstantial and he needed time to prepare to answer the 17-page police statement “naming approximately 20 witnesses”.

Police prosecutor Chris Brien said evidence that Mr Geeves purchased a chainsaw shortly after the alleged offence and telephone intercepts that included the words, “have you taken the rest of her up there?”, “did you get rid of the rest of her body” and “so where will we take the rest of her now?” would form part of their case.

It has also been alleged additional telephone intercepts include Mr Geeves asking the co-accused not to “roll” on him.

Police said the investigation was ongoing and had been restarted after a witness came forward late last year.

A car seized by police in Albury last week will also undergo forensic testing.

Woman under arrest

A man and woman, both aged 61, were arrested in Harden and are expected to be charged with Amber Haigh’s murder. Photo: NSW Police.

Magistrate Kiely said she disagreed with Ms Langfield, saying the case was strongly circumstantial.

She refused bail to Mr Geeves. He will appear in Young Local Court on 5 July. Magistrate Kiely said the case against Mr Geeves and the co-accused seemed “very strong”, and continued detention appeared justified.

“There will be delays,” she said, “if the length of time is too protracted, the accused can apply for bail again.”

The arrests come just a week after the reward for information into Amber’s disappearance was increased from $100,000 to $1 million.

What's Your Opinion?

One Response to Amber Haigh murder co-accused refused bail

Filter
Order
Hazel Watson Hazel Watson 11:50 am 13 May 22

Such a sad story and a reality check that this can occur anywhere not only in the city but also in our beautiful rural environment.

Top