UPDATED 12:30 pm: Health authorities have confirmed two new positive COVID-19 cases in the Goulburn area but say both are household contacts of the initial case reported on Wednesday (18 August).
They say the individuals were not active in the community for any portion of their infectious periods and there are no public exposure sites related to these cases.
They have reiterated calls for anyone feeling even slightly unwell to get tested and isolate immediately.
11:00 am: Queanbeyan Woolworths and Amcal Pharmacy have been identified as the first exposure sites in the ‘border bubble’ after Queanbeyan recorded two positive COVID-19 tests on Thursday (19 August).
Anyone who visited the supermarket or pharmacy from 9:00 am to 11:30 am on Monday (16 August) is considered a casual contact and must get tested and self isolate.
NSW Deputy Premier and Member for Monaro John Barilaro said yesterday that both people lived in Queanbeyan but worked in the ACT. He also described Queanbeyan as an area of concern and said cases there were likely to grow.
By contrast, Mr Barilaro said he did not believe a case in the Goulburn area had been active in the community and tracers were confident there were no public exposure sites.
The lockdown in regional NSW has been extended until at least 28 August. From Monday, masks should be wore outdoors at all times, apart from while exercising, across all of NSW,
In Greater Sydney, the lockdown has been extended and will run until at least the end of September, with 642 cases recorded today (20 August).
There are several testing clinics operating in Queanbeyan and across the Monaro, some of which are assisting ACT Health in processing large numbers of tests.
Southern NSW Local Health District is urging anyone feeling unwell, with even the mildest of symptoms to self-isolate and get a COVID-19 test.
A full list of testing sites is available here.
The SNSWLHD public health team is also reminding people to check in with the Service NSW QR code every time they enter a venue to improve the speed and accuracy of contact tracing.
Yesterday Mr Barilaro said a beefed-up permit system to come into effect from Saturday offered a ray of hope to people living in regional NSW.
“The permit system will start on Saturday for all people leaving Sydney,” he said. “This will give us greater protection.
“Our intention is to lift [stay-at-home] restrictions in the regions on 28 August.”
He said the decision would be made on Local Government area basis.
However in the Greater Sydney area, things have got tougher. For the first time the State Government will impose a 9:00 pm to 5:00 am curfew, with exceptions for critical workers.