COVID-19 has put the brakes on another community event with the 2021 Goulburn Convoy for Kids carnival day cancelled.
However, organisers are hoping that come November, hundreds of trucks will still be able to roll into town for a COVID-safe mystery drive.
Convoy For Kids Goulburn president Colin Imms said the uncertainty around COVID-19 and potential ongoing lockdowns made it unfeasible to continue investing time and money into planning the community carnival day.
“We get a lot of people visiting from out of the area and the risk is just too great, so it was decided to cancel for this year,” he said.
Last year’s event attracted about 200 trucks and vehicles and raised more than $18,000 for local children with cancer, terminal illness and permanent disabilities, so the committee is keen to ensure the convoy still goes ahead in some format to keep the funds rolling in.
“We will still be having a truck convoy on that weekend,” Colin said.
“It will be a similar COVID-safe event to what we held last year, with a mystery drive on Sunday 14 November, finishing with a barbecue at a yet to be determined location.
“This drive will go ahead pending any COVID-19 restrictions that are in place at the time.
“For example, if Goulburn is in lockdown at the time then it couldn’t proceed.”
Colin said the 2021 event was planned to be bigger than ever with the convoy aiming to break a Guinness World Record.
“We were hoping for around 500 trucks to roll in,” he said.
“And a huge family carnival was planned with markets, rides, entertainment and performances from some very high-profile children acts.”
“It’s disappointing that it had to be cancelled but it was the sensible thing to do.”
The committee hopes around 200 trucks will still be able to join the 2021 mystery drive with drivers to remain inside their trucks for the duration of the event.
If greater Sydney is still in lockdown, Colin said numbers will be way down, and if the whole of NSW remains locked down the event could be cancelled at the eleventh hour.
“It’s hard to predict right now, but we hope to be able to do something for the kids and the community,” he said.
“Losing the carnival day is a huge loss to us because it’s our biggest event of the year, so we’re trying to offset the loss by coming up with other ideas that can be held throughout the year, such as Bunnings barbecues.
“With COVID fatigue setting in, it will also give our community something to look forward to.”
Goulburn Convoy for Kids is a registered charity, run by local volunteers and Colin said all funds are distributed within the local community.
“The need for us to raise funds to help those in need remains through this pandemic and our committee is determined to continue to provide support to those who need it during these difficult times.”
Colin encouraged individuals and businesses to continue supporting the event with all funds raised and registration fees for entering trucks going toward helping sick kids.
To become a sponsor or donate check out the Goulburn Convoy for Kids website.