News

Bega, Snowy Monaro out of lockdown as Yass, Jerrabomberra, Queanbeyan record new cases

Kim Treasure16 September 2021
Andrew Constance

Andrew Constance makes a COVID-19 announcement on Facebook. Photo: Facebook.

Bega Valley Shire Council and the Snowy Monaro will come out of lockdown at 1 pm today (Thursday 16 September) following confirmation that two cases reported in Merimbula last week were false positives.

Bega MP Andrew Constance welcomed the move but warned people needed to remain vigilant and get vaccinated.

“This is an important step given there are no active or recorded cases in the Bega Valley Shire,” Mr Constance said.

“Unfortunately in the Eurobodalla, there are still six active cases, which means that the lockdown does need to remain in place there.”


READ ALSO: False positives in Merimbula while Bay outbreak grows to six


While the lockdown is being lifted, some restrictions will remain in place.

“We will be able to see visitation to homes, schools reopen, small businesses reopen,” Mr Constance said.

“But there are going to be a number of … restrictions still in place for the community as we move forward to higher vaccination rates across NSW.”

COVID-19 virus fragments have been found in the Narooma sewage system, leading to fears there are still undetected cases in the Eurobodalla.


READ ALSO: When laughter turns out to be the best medicine for Yass


Three cases were recorded in the Southern NSW Local Health District in the 24 hours to 8 pm last night – one in Yass, one in Jerrabomberra and one in Queanbeyan.

The Yass case is still under investigation, while the other two are linked to the ACT.

Those cases bring the total to 37 recorded in the region since the Sydney outbreak began – 32 are still active and 5 have recovered.

There are currently no new exposure sites listed but any updates will be available here.

NSW as a whole recorded 1351 new cases in the 24-hour reporting period.

What's Your Opinion?

Top