
A 37-year-old man was arrested after allegedly committing offences at childcare and medical centres in Goulburn. Photo: Michelle Kroll.
CONTENT WARNING: This article refers to alleged sexual offending.
Electricians came to the assistance of police when they helped catch an alleged sex offender as he tried to flee through the backyards of homes in Goulburn.
The incident began when officers were called to a medical centre in the town on Tuesday morning (17 February).
A NSW Police spokesperson said a receptionist at the centre had been repeatedly approached by a man who allegedly made sexualised comments and behaved in a lewd manner towards her.
The officers arrived and spotted the suspect, who then ran from the scene, prompting a search of the area.
Soon afterwards, police received a second report from a childcare centre in the town.
A staff member had allegedly seen a man on the other side of the centre’s fence engage in a lewd act directed towards her, which resulted in the centre going into lockdown while the man fled.
Police allege the same man was behind both incidents.
When they spotted him again, they chased him through a number of streets, fenced yards and open spaces as he tried to escape.
“During the search, Essential Energy workers operating in Lagoon Street in an elevated work platform were able to use their vantage point to direct police to the man’s movements as he travelled through backyards, climbed fences, and attempted to conceal himself,” the police spokesperson said.
The man allegedly ran through a local home before officers caught up with him.
After a brief struggle, he was subdued and taken into custody.
“Police thank the community for promptly reporting the incidents and extend acknowledgment to the Essential Energy personnel whose cooperation significantly assisted the police response,” the police spokesperson said.
The 37-year-old man from the Goulburn Mulwaree region was charged with intimidation, carrying out a sexual act without consent and entering enclosed land.
He faced the NSW local court on Wednesday (18 February) where the court ordered he be taken for a mental health assessment.
The man, who is not named as he has been taken for the assessment, will return to court at a future date.
If this story has raised any concerns for you, 1800RESPECT, the national 24-hour sexual assault, family and domestic violence counselling line, can be contacted on 1800 737 732.
Help and support are also available through the Canberra Rape Crisis Centre on 02 6247 2525, the Domestic Violence Crisis Service ACT 02 6280 0900, the Sexual Violence Legal Services on 6257 4377 and Lifeline on 13 11 14. In an emergency, call Triple Zero.
Original Article published by Albert McKnight on Region Canberra.











