Saving artefacts and getting Wagga’s rail history back on track
Community
Wagga's iconic railway station has been open for business since 1880, but surprisingly it's never been officially opened. The Wagga Wagga Rail Heritage Association crew thinks it's about time it was, and they want to see it done in old-world style with a steam train, pageantry and the whole box and dice. "We want to get as many people involved as...
Goulburn’s drive for sustainability gathers pace
Community
Goulburn volunteers maintaining a community garden or wetlands, pushing for better protection of endangered water birds, sounding the alarm on habitat destruction and establishing community solar projects will soon be invited to join an ongoing sustainability committee.  The invitation comes from Goulburn Mulwaree Council's working party on sustainability. Goulburn Mayor Peter Walker says the working party’s brief has been completed...
Giving students agency and spreading kindness through creativity
Community
When Bega High School teacher Rebecca Lupton entered a national competition, she wanted to help spread kindness, celebrate creativity and make learning fun at her school. "I wanted to help our school affirm its identity and give the students the chance to personalise things themselves," she said. Her idea led to the school winning a $5,000 Cricut prize pack, with...
Restoration works locked in for Tathra Wharf: ‘It has to be fixed or it’s lost’
Community
Critical restoration works to save the Tathra Wharf from destruction are locked in for later this year. It came as fantastic news to Tathra Wharf Museum committee president Lynneeta Darmody, one of the historic structure's many advocates, who said the wharf would cease to exist without the works. "It's strong enough, but it won't last much longer. It has to be fixed. It...
A taste of life from villages around world en route to Far South Coast
Community
A new project proposed for the Far South Coast wants to give locals and visitors insight into the many ways people around the world live. Planning is underway for a "world village" at Potoroo Palace, one of the region's premier native wildlife sanctuaries near Merimbula. Local author and project advocate Geof Maher said the idea would be to build 12...
High tea with the passionate ladies of the Tilba CWA
Community
The fine women of Tilba's CWA branch want everyone in the region to join them for a glorious old-fashioned Vintage Garden Party this Spring. The lunchtime gathering to celebrate the CWA NSW centenary will take place on Saturday 10 September on the lush grounds of Mountain View Farm, at the base of Mount Gulaga. Expect all the country hospitality, delectable...
Reflections on tragic Royal Canberra Hospital implosion, one of the capital’s darkest days
Community
Yesterday marked 25 years since the tragedy of the failed Royal Canberra Hospital implosion, one of the darkest days in the ACT’s history. On 13 July 1997, the former hospital at Acton Peninsula was demolished to make way for the National Museum of Australia. The lead-up to the event was celebrated by the Canberra community, with the ACT Government promoting...
Nurse, farmer and mum shoots for stars but grows roots in the region
Community
Elissa Drew is a pocket rocket ready for take off. The Cootamundra Hospital enrolled nurse, mother of six, farmer and wife is pursuing yet another hat - a degree to become a Registered Nurse (RN). A self-confessed sponge who craves information, Elissa said she was always the one standing behind the RNs, driving them mad with her curiosity and constantly...
‘Bill the Bastard’ returns home
Community
A bronze sculpture of Australia's greatest war horse "Bill the Bastard" has been officially welcomed home to Harden Murrumburrah. Bill, the First Australian Light Horse was among 29,348 horses shipped from Australia to the Middle East in 1914 to fight in World War I. The 17.1-hand, fiery chestnut gelding was famous for his buck and pluck. Member for Riverina Michael...
As one rail trail goes off track, Galong’s full-steam ahead
Community
As the Upper Lachlan Shire Council suddenly withdrew from a rail-trail project with Goulburn Mulwaree Council, Galong's full-stream ahead getting their new rail-trail project. Northwest of Yass and with a population of 240, Galong has stumped up $20,000 for a feasibility study of the proposed 29-kilometre trail to Boorowa. Galong is part of Hilltops Council which also contributed $25,000 to...
How Ashculme Textiles wove its way from an empty paddock to a busy loom
Business
About seven years ago, Fiona Durman decided to invest in a small herd of Suri Alpacas for the family's Lake Albert property and take up the textile art form of weaving. Now a familiar sight at markets across the Riverina where she sells a spectacular array of hand-woven garments, Fiona said it all started with an empty paddock. "We wanted...
Women proving to be all class in the shearing industry
Community
Back in the day, if shearers heard there were women in the shed they were booked to work in, they'd turn around and move on to the next job. Women and shearing sheds didn't mix. According to Kelly Wombey, one of the region's top wool classers, it was just how it was back then. "That was about 25 years ago,"...
Gundaroo makes the cut on Lonely Planet’s top 500 Aussie experiences list
Community
Lonely Planet is arguably the last word in travel guides. So when its panel of industry experts rank the top 500 "unmissable experiences and hidden gems across the land to create a definitive travel wish list", people pay attention. Among the thousands of potential sites in a country rich in superlatives, few expected a little village in the Yass Valley...
Roger’s writing helps uncover Goulburn’s bushrangers and beginnings
Community
Years after leaving an orphanage in Parramatta, Goulburn historian and author Roger Bayley discovered it had been founded by a slave trader. His father Fred was a painter at the orphanage and his mother Grace helped clean in the laundry while Roger attended school there. Run by the Presbyterian Church, Roger and the orphanage’s children filed past a portrait of...
Cootamundra woman shares the magical world of book folding
Community
Cootamundra's Tegan Kelly spends her spare time turning old books into beautiful sculptures. She uses book folding - an art form employing various folding techniques on the pages of books to create patterns and formations. "It was something I had wanted to do for a while but had always talked myself out of," Ms Kelly said. "Finally, I told myself...
Wrestling refugee to bring a national event to Wagga
Community
Wagga's wrestling coach Mohsen Haidary is a survivor. "I came to Australia in late 2012. I'm a refugee in this country. I came here on a boat," he says matter of factly. Mohsen is Persian and moved to Wagga a little over a year ago with a temporary protection visa requiring refugees to live, work or study in a regional area. He is...