Batlow’s lone wildlife warrior
Community
When Wayne Dubois finishes work, he fuels and packs his tiny Subaru Brumby ute and sets off on a 50-kilometre round trip through charred forests to feed wildlife. Along the way, you’ll see him throwing apples out the window. “I figure if I chuck the apples into the forest as far as I can, they’ll feed animals I can’t reach,”...
Aqua fitness is making a splash in the Eurobodalla
Community
The older we get, the more important it is to maintain fitness, not just for heart health and mobility, but to make us less susceptible to falls. The paradox being that as exercise becomes more important, the harder it can be. That's where aqua fitness comes in. Aqua fitness is a growing industry as more people realise the benefits of low-impact...
Cricketing captains commemorated
Sport
It might have been coronavirus everywhere else but last week in Cootamundra it was all about cricket. The town that revels in its cricketing greats - William Lloyd "Billy" Murdoch and Sir Donald "The Don" Bradman - has, over time, immortalised 42 Australian International Test XI captains along a sculpture-lined walk in Jubilee Park. Known as the Captains Walk, every test captain...
Card helps pay it forward for domestic violence support service
Community
Molonglo Support Services, which began as a safe place for women and children escaping abuse in Queanbeyan and the surrounding area, has commemorated 40 years of caring for people impacted by domestic and family violence. The not-for-profit charity provides critical support services and marked the occasion with a special 40th-anniversary card designed by local artist Carolyn Brooks. Molonglo Support Services chairperson Narelle Sargent said the card was...
Four Winds and other flagship events cancelled due to COVID-19
Community
"With great sadness and regret," the email from Four Winds Easter Festival begins, "we have decided not to go ahead with the 2020 Easter Festival in Bermagui." The Four Winds Easter Festival joins the growing ranks of cancelled community events around the country because of COVID-19, which was categorised as a pandemic by the World Health Organisation on 11 March....
Feeding growing appetite for new infrastructure
Community
ARIA and Golden Guitar winning singer-songwriter Graeme Connors regularly sells out performances from one end of Australia to the other. Connors appears in theatres throughout Queensland and Victoria but never in Goulburn where his promoters, Geoff Bell and his wife Cathy, run Laing Entertainment. Connors isn't alone. National and international entertainers on the Laing roster regularly bypass Goulburn. The reason...
Gold strikes thrice at Muttama
News
Last week a little community that sprung from a reef of gold discovered in the 1860s was celebrating another gold strike – this time in the form of almost $60,000 from the NSW government. Muttama – a settlement which sits between Cootamundra and Coolac – like any small rural settlement, has suffered its fair share of blows. First came the...
Celebrity chefs travel the South Coast to lend their help and share smiles
Community
A cheer went up as three recognisable blokes were spotted heading down the hill on foot towards Eastwoods in Bermagui last Wednesday evening. Hundreds of locals had set up at tables and on rugs, arriving at Eastwood's Cafe by foot, bike, car and golf buggy from 5:00 in the afternoon, groups of friends celebrating together. Kelly Eastwood came straight from...
South Coast Food Festival highlights bounty and heals hearts
Community
Smiles abounded at Merimbula’s Fishpen Cove. The Annual ‘Festival of the Small Dish’ EAT Merimbula was packed with hungry people by 10:30 am with more streaming in along the beautiful lakeside promenades, perusing the dozens of stalls. At 10:01 am exactly, the Town Crier began, an oyster punt skippered by Captain Sponge floated past loaded with impressive Taiko Drummers complete with...
Still dire need for permanent post-fire housing in Bega Valley
Community
Although the South Coast is green again, a way forward is still unclear for many victims of fire, as the organisations on the frontline are seeing. John Oddie is new to his position with Convoy Missions Australia but says it all feels strangely familiar. "I had no idea who Convoy Missions were until just before Christmas but the work I've been doing...
Bega woman celebrates year of weekly climate strikes
Environment
"It's funny, but the thing that scared me the most when I started a year ago - talking to strangers - is now the thing I like the most," says Bega resident Vivian Harris, who has recently celebrated a full calendar year of weekly climate strikes at Bega Farmer's Market on Fridays. Her boldly painted sign, Happy To Talk About...
Out of the ashes and stronger than ever – Sculpture Bermagui is a testament to rejuvenation
Community
Sculpture Bermagui was almost a victim of the summer's fires, but considering the art on show at the opening and awards ceremony on 6 March, it's a welcome relief that these remarkable works will be with us to help heal the wounds of an unforgettable summer. From the stage in a packed Bermagui Community Centre, Yuin woman Iris White welcomed...
9th annual Broulee Bay to Breakers draws a record crowd
Community
In yet another step towards bushfire recovery, 340 swimmers powered into the sea at North Broulee beach last Sunday for the 9th annual Hotondo Homes Broulee Bay to Breakers Ocean Swim. The days of black sky and ash-ridden beaches after a summer of bushfires are still close enough that swim coordinator David Butt commented especially on the water clarity. “It was...
Fallow times reflected in album, launch
What's On
If music heals the soul, there’s an event this weekend that is sure to bring medicinal value to the scorched Snowy Mountain ranges. And if there is a place in need of a salve it’s Tooma, 31 kilometres south of Tumbarumba – population 101 – and one place few people wanted to be in January. But Australian country music singer...
Aboriginal Land Council crews help repair coastal river systems
Community
After the devastation of the summer bushfires on the south coast, it’s not only the built environment that needs repair. Whole ecosystems have been stressed by the long hot burning which has stripped away the undergrowth and destabilised the landscape. What’s left on the ground is centimetres of fine grey ash. And then came the rains. With around 200 mm...
Ken’s mystery bus still pulls a crowd
Community
An antique fire truck ignites a little boy’s imagination but an old school bus rekindles memories for everyone. A mechanic and former school bus driver Ken McKay can rattle off routes into Harden-Murrumburrah, the families along the way and the remarkable journey of a 1958 British Leyland Worldmaster. The old bus will line up at Harden Historic Truck and Tractor Club show...