4 January 2021

Border 'bubble' clarified by Bega Valley Shire Council

| Sharon Kelley
Join the conversation
ACT Policing officers checking cars entering the Territory. Photo: Supplied.

Police in the ACT and Victoria are checking travellers, so even if you’re allowed to travel, take your ID. Photo: Supplied.

Bega Valley Shire Council has clarified cross-border travel permissions for residents of border communities in Victoria and New South Wales.

People who live in a border community who have not left the border area in the last 14 days can travel to another border community in the ‘border bubble’ without a permit. This means that anyone who is a resident of a Victorian border community can travel to a NSW border community to holiday or work, and residents of the Bega Valley and other NSW border communities who wish to travel to a Victorian border community can do so.

READ ALSO ACT toughens border restrictions with NSW

You must carry valid photo identification that shows your current address, such as a driver licence, as evidence that you reside in an exempt border community. Once you have reached your intended border community, you cannot travel out of it unless you are returning home.

Victorians who do not live in the border bubble local government areas who travel beyond the border bubble into greater NSW cannot return to Victoria without a permit for 14 days, and must find suitable accommodation in NSW.

The Council is strongly recommending you take proof of where you are staying as you may be asked for this, and that all residents and visitors check the latest rules before travelling.

READ ALSO Eden, Bermagui residents urged to test after two possible COVID venues identified

Residents of Victoria’s Alpine Valley, Benalla, Bendigo, Buloke, Campaspe, East Gippsland, Gannawarra, Indigo, Loddon, Mildura, Moira, Shepparton, Swan Hill, Towong, Wangaratta, Wodonga, Yarriambiack are exempt from needing a permit to travel within the border bubble across the two states as long as the conditions above are met.

Residents of NSW’s Albury City, Balranald, Bega Valley, Berrigan, Broken Hill, Edward River, Federation, Greater Hume, Hay, Lockhart, Murray River, Murrumbidgee, Snowy Monaro, Snowy Valley, Wagga Wagga, Wentworth are exempt from needing a permit to travel within the border bubble across the two states as long as the conditions above are met.

Residents of the ACT do not require permission to enter the border bubble or re-enter the ACT.

Join the conversation

All Comments
  • All Comments
  • Website Comments
Graeme Cleator7:14 pm 04 Jan 21

Does this mean I can travel from Bendigo to Wagga Wagga and return to Bendigo

Daily Digest

Do you like to know what’s happening around your region? Every day the About Regional team packages up our most popular stories and sends them straight to your inbox for free. Sign-up now for trusted local news that will never be behind a paywall.

By submitting your email address you are agreeing to Region Group's terms and conditions and privacy policy.